Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:51:20 -0400
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.net>
To:        postfix-users@cloud9.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [postfix-users] pipe unable to parse dash flags in argv (resolved)

> Subject: Re: [postfix-users] pipe unable to parse dash flags in argv (resolved)
>
>Peter C. Lai:
> > Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:45:12 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
> >
> > > I REPEAT: YOU HAVE LINKED POSTFIX WITH A BRAIN DAGAGED GNU GETOPT ROUTINE.
> > >
> > > DON'T DO THAT. POSTFIX REQUIRES THAT YOU USE THE SYSTEM GETOPT
> > > ROUTINE.
> >
> > This is not a problem I can easily resolve. What would you propose?
>
> Use the SYSTEM LIBRARY getopt() routine!
>
> DO NOT overrride system library routines with brain-damaged third
> party versions.
>
> If you must use third-party libraries that override native methods
> specify
>
>    -lc
>
> before
>
>    -lbraindamagedthirdpartylibrary
>
>        Wietse
>
> > I can see
> > if it will build correctly without linking -L /usr/local/lib, because it WILL
> > ALWAYS pick up the broken gnugetopt IF we are linking to /usr/local/lib AND
> > the freebsd libgnugetopt port is installed. In any case, we must change the
> > Makefile in order to get it to link to the correct getopt library, and doing
> > this is beyond my scope of expertise.

I'm not the one who's overriding anything! The default ports build does this!
The question now is, do we change /ports/mail/postfix/Makefile to force -lc
for this port, or is there a fundamental change required in bsd.port.mk?

(What I am saying is that it would be _really nice_ to get postfix to work
out-of-the-box instead of getting it borken by linking to libgnugetopt by
default).

--
Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut