Date:      02 Apr 95 12:52:02 EDT
From:      "Leonard W. Mah" <73664.2073@compuserve.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Install Problems

The configuration of my PC is:
 	IBM Alaris 486SLC2-66Mhz VLB motherboard
	Generic VLB I/O Controller card
	Spider Graphics VLB video with CL-5426 accelerator
	Western Digital 540MB master drive
	Western Digital 250MB slave drive
	NEC Model 210 2X CD-ROM drive with SCSI interface to
	Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum sound card.

My setup is intended to have my slave drive devoted entirely to FreeBSD 2.0.
The initial installation went very well, however, I seem to be getting a lot of
different errors when I attempt to install the distributions from the CD-ROM
onto the slave drive.  The consistent errors I get are:
	1. Checksum errors
	2. "SCSI timeout--WAIT_FOR_REQ--pas.c:891"
	3. Unexpected end of file errors in archive file

I must have tried the installation process about a dozen times, and these errors
never occur at the same part of the install sequence.  The run LEDs on my CD-ROM
also stays on even if I go back to the shell and umount it.  The drive will only
reset it upon reboot.  Once I got an "Extract Complete" message after initiating
the bindist installation, but then I went back to look at the system messages to
be sure.  I saw the following messages:
	cat:  bindist.blc: no such file or dir
                      .
                      .
	cat: bindist.cd: no such file or dir
	gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
	tar: unexpected EOF on archive file
	./extract.sh: 36: Syntax error: end of file expected (expected "fi")

I have a feeling there were other error message preceeding these, but I did not
get a chance to see them.  After this, I checked my free disk space, and only
6.6MB of binaries were written to my slave drive.  If I were to venture a guess,
I would say that my CD-ROM or sound card configuration has an interface problem
with FreeBSD.  I also tried to install some of the smaller distributions, and at
times, they installed without incident.  Could not get XFREE86 to install
because it expected bindist to be correctly installed before going on.  The
checksum error is the most frequent one, in which case, the CD-ROM drive will
hang.

At this point, I've tried everything I could think of, so any help would be
appreciated.

Leonard W. Mah
(ex Cal Bear)