Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:56:02 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Woody Carey <wcarey@cs.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Freeware]

Woody Carey wrote:

> >From what I understand about benchmarks, most vendors do funky tuning to
> beat their competitors on a benchmark that may or may not be indicative of
> anything at all.  Basically, benchmarking with this sort of nonsense is
> agreeing to play a dirty political game and and a pointless, losing
> battle.  Why don't we not go there, and save ourselves the trouble of
> discovering the error of our ways after the fact?

Visibility, in a word. We can beat them if we are smart. What it means,
I don't know. That's why I originally proposed a more real-world
realistic challenge in a controlled environment, to eliminate this
dirtiness. I'm exploring alternatives for promotion, and an open
challenge like this (freeware vs. the behemoths) would make the evening
news for a whole two weeks. Where else could we get promo like this???