Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:17:27 GMT
From:      dpreece@paradise.net.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.3R hardware interrupts solved.

Oh, my god.

After looking for a cause in the usual suspects (disks, power supplies
etc) I finally managed to track it down to an unusual suspect. The
freebsd box had a 3com 3c905. This was fine. It was connected to a
windows box that had an intel 82559 based card. This also was fine, when
it was connected to a switch. Because the switch has other duties right
now, my network has had to put up with a hub for a little while.

Connecting a 3c905 to an 82559 via a hub or crossover cable does not
work. Furthermore, it does not work for a very well defined reason -
 'netstat -I xl1 -w 1' doesn't show any network traffic at all. What it
does do is eat truckloads of processor power on the FreeBSD machine.

I do vaguely remember a post a long time ago on -hackers about 82559's
not liking crossover cables, and it seemed just too weird to be true.
Does anyone have the first idea exactly why this doesn't work?

Thanks,
Dave