Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 02:52:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning (was: ccd with other filesystems)

> > The PReP specification makes it crystal clear how you can
> > support up to 2^32 sectors with the DOS partition table
> > mechanism.  It's perhaps the best documentation I've ever
> > seen for the DOS partition table, and the 32 bit sector
> > field.  I'd have bought the thing for that documentation
> > alone, had I known it was there when I needed it.
>
> Why do we need it?

Compatability?  Interoperability?  Booting disks on AlphaBIOS,
Motorolla PowerStack machines, etc.?  To avoid yet another
gratuitous difference from the rest of the world?

> > PS: That's 112 TB, in LBA mode.
>
> I make 1 TB for signed sector numbers, which is what we already have.
> How do you get 112 TB out of 512*2**31?

Sorry, 2TB (it's unsigned).

2^32 * 512 = 2.233383e+11

I guess I clicked again when I shouldn't have in the calculator;
my bad.  I should have done it in my head, instead; it's easy
to say "4 billion over 2 times 1000".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---