Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:08:54 -0400
From:      "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, brian@hyperreal.org, dwilde1@ibm.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>:
> > I think, specifically, the release of Kaffe, the first cleanroom
> > JAVA implementation is worthy of mention.  Despite thier positioning
> > as a competitor to my own employer, I'd note Freegate as well, even
> > if the numbers aren't there yet.  I'd also note the NetBSD based
> > "Interceptor" box from Vixie Enterprises, Inc., as well as the
> > company that contracts them, the Internet Software Consoritium.

When I get paragraphs on these from people in the know, I'll put them in.

> 	Also, with respect to Whistle, the products.html page could
> mention one of their numerous awwards.  The ommission stands out to those
> who know of these awards when the summary above Whistle has just such a
> link.  In any case, here's the link to Whistle's awards.  The "PC
> Computing - 1997 MVP BEST NETWORKING HARDWARE WINNER" is a good one to
> mention.

That's a good idea and I've added it.  It will show up in the next
update.

>                                   One way to greatly improve
> the credentials of the site in a qualitative manner rather than
> quanitative one, would be to actively seek out those "interesting"
> projects and technologies and work them into the site, whether they ask to
> be or not.

I can't do it.  There aren't enough hours in the day.

Look, I still have to maintain Sunsite and fetchmail.  There's the
Trove project.  And I'm spending a lot of time on the road (you get
one guess why).  If I weren't so far behind we'd have a logo and an
Open Source branding program by now.

> 	If the big Linux vendors hadn't heard of opensource.org and never
> asked to get listed, would they have been listed anyways?

Yes, because I already knew about them.  The problem is that with the best
will in the world, I just don't have time to go off and hunt products that
I don't know about that might be eligible.

You guys are going to have to feed me BSD stuff if you want to see the
things I don't naturally trip over carried on the site.  This isn't
hostility, it's just press of work.
--

Courage is resistance of fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.