Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:52:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: system() broken while mmap()ing something

>> I've attached a test program that does demonstrate a problem.  The program
>> isn't what I originally had in mind.  This one mmaps the BIOS, and in three
>> phases it "writes" to it, and reads back the result.  Since the BIOS is
>> read-only, mismatches should occur in each phase, however on FreeBSD-current,
>> the last phase (after a system("/bin/ls > /tmp/l")) reports no mismatches.
>> On FreeBSD-2.0.5, mismatches are correctly reported at each phase.
>
>The results for me are:
>
>kernel version		David's program		XServer w/ Xkb enabled
>			runs okay?		doesn't crash system?
>
>Mar 9, 1996		No.			No.
>
>Feb 3, 1996		Yes.			No.
>
>Mar, 1995
>(GENERIC 2.0.5?)	Yes.			Yes.
>
>So, the test program only seems to show the most evil behaviour.

The test program also works fine with 2.1.0-RELEASE.

I've never seen the Xserver with Xkb crash the system on -current.  I
just find that the server doesn't work correctly regarding usage of the
mmaped /dev/mem/area.  For most servers this means a blank display.
The only -current kernels I've tried are the 960303 snap and one from
around 9 March (which fixed most of the probably unrelated panics I saw
with the 960303 version).  I did see a panic with the 9 March version
at 2am this morning when /etc/daily started (good thing I was up watching
the Cricket World Cup :-).

David