Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:39:33 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        "Lawrence Sica" <lomifeh@earthlink.net>, "Trevor Johnson" <trevor@jpj.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible security liability: Filling disks with junk or  spam

In message <008901c21afc$4a836100$44ec910c@daleco>, "Kevin Kinsey,
DaleCo, S.P.
" writes:
> [...]

Agreed and scrutiny by the operator should also be the last line of
defense.  Little do many understand that an experienced sysadmin is the
best asset they can have.  Unfortunately many companies and
organizations are unwilling to pay for that.

> One of the reasons I choose FBSD over other servers, especially M$, is
> that it's not too hard to do some reading and learn the OS; learn a couple
> of easy command line statements and see what's installed, what services are
> running, and etc  Patience is a virtue, time with a browser a must, but no
> rocket science degree is needed.
>
> Perhaps this should be added to /stand/sysinstall:
>         "You have just installed an operating system.  Before you reboot
> your
> computer, PLEASE take some time and learn just what the thing will be
> doing while it sits in your home and/or place of business...."

Or hire or rent someone with the qualifications and experience to do it
right.  Of course paying a lot of money doesn't guarantee that the job
will be done right.  I've seen cases where high priced vendor personnel
installed insecure systems stating that the <vendor> O/S comes secure
right out of the box and that no additional security "tweaking" was
required.  Unfortunately these systems were quickly discovered by
spammers.  The rest was history.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766