Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:03:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making world with gcc-2.8.1

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:42:27 -0400 (EDT), Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> I would like to do a make world using gcc-2.8.1,
>
>Couldn't you just have installed gcc-2.8.1 from ports, and then set CC
>and CXX in /etc/make.conf to point at /usr/local/bin/gcc and
>/usr/local/bin/g++?

It's not as simple as this.  Problems include:
- make world rebuilds the tools (including cc) and then wants to use the
  new cc to build everything.  Various environment variables are set
  to ensure that when the new cc runs, it pulls in the new cpp/cc1/as/ld
  and libgcc.  Fixing this means hacking the top level makefile (and
  maybe some of the lower level ones as well).
- The file structure is different to gcc.  In particular, the libraries
  are separated out.  You need to make sure that the old libgcc isn't
  built.  You also need to replace libstdc++-2.7.x with libstdc++-2.8.x
  (gcc-2.8.1 won't compile the older libstdc++).

That's as far as I've gotten.  I got side-tracked onto real work.

Since people have claimed `it's easy', someone has presumably done it...

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited