From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HELP!  How do I recover from a power outage?

My FreeBSD machine lost power and now it will not boot up correctly.
When it boots, I end up at a prompt:

mountroot>

I have figured out how to get to a commadn prompt from there.  I have
type in:

ufs:/dev/ad2s1a

The machine asks me for the path to a shell, defaults to /bin/sh, I
presee <Enter>.  Then what do I do??????  I have tried things like:

# fsck /dev/ad2s1a
Cannot open /dev/ad2s1a: Device not configured.

# fsck -A
fsck: illegal option A

But nothing seems to work.  Please help!!!!!!