Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:18:38 +0200
From:      Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Weirdness on 4.5-RELEASE

  On Sep 07 at 00:19, Matthew Feadler spoke:

> Yes, the servicves are running (verified by ps, sockstat, and telnetting to
> the applicable ports while _inside_ my LAN).

Can you telnet from a host in your LAN to the ip of your mailhost on
port 25?
Does telnetting using the hostname mail.herdtech.com resolve to the
same address?

> The only 'firewall' running is NAT on a Cisco 2500-series router, but the
> NAT entry for the mailserver is static, one-to-one.

Here mail.herdtech.com resolves to 68.14.240.33 which is probably
your external address. (Or is it an old one?)
Trying to connect to port 25 yields

Trying 68.14.240.33...
telnet: connect to address 68.14.240.33: Connection refused

It seems there is a packet filter somewhere.
If this should be allowed you may need to forward 68.14.240.33 port
25 to the internal address of the mailhost on the NAT router.

-Hanspeter