Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:19:32 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting up UUCP

Hey Wash!

I assume you've read the recent discussion on the security problems
of UUCP...

You also understand that UUCP provides file transfer and remote
execution; it doesn't provide logins and shells?

Assuming that's what you want, then yes the "login" part of it
involves setting up a user with a shell of /usr/libexec/uucp/uucico.
Of course, they also need all the associated UUCP subsystem setup
(look at the *.sample files in /etc/uucp).

I still run UUCP for one particular environment, but I have to say
that for almost every application today, it is NOT the answer (and
I'm actually in the process of retiring it).

Cheers

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319