Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:28:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Could it be the memory?

Hi!
Well, today I got hold of a user 486-SX computer with 4 MB RAM. I thought
I'd get another 4 MB so that I have 8 MB in total, and then I'd install
FreeBSD on it. I was already looking forward to building that little
"test" machine, but before I could start I ran into a problem:

When I try to boot from the 3.4-RELEASE install disks, first everything
works fine. After reading from the MFS-root disk, the counter starts
counting down before it starks booting the kernel (or, as it is with the
install boot disks, the kernel configure dialog). Now, when the counter
has reached 0 or I press ENTER, the config dialog does not
appear! Instead, the machine reboots! Not so nice, actually!

Ok, I thought maybe the installed 4 MB are too little RAM, so I wanted to
put some more RAM into the machine. That plan was cancelled, however, when
after opening the box I realized that there are some tiny little 30-pin
SIMMS inside - and I only have some 72-pin pieces here.

Well, what now? I could buy some used RAM to put into that machine - but
I'm not even sure that the problem is really related to memory! When
booting the machine, it says it has in total 3712 KB inside. Shouldn't
that *just* enough to test FreeBSD?

So, any suggestions anybody? Can you imagine that too little RAM is really
the problem? Or do you think it's probably more likely something else. I
already tried changing some settings in the BIOS (well, actually not much
can be set there) and it didn't solve the problem.

I wouldn't mind if I don't get that machine running - after all I got it
basically for free. But another FreeBSD box, no matter how slow, would
still be fine ;-)

Greetings,
Nils Holland