Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:31:52 -0800
From:      Michael Rubin <mhr@neverthere.org>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: pecl-fileinfo-0.2

On Jan 10, 2005, at 6:16 AM, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> I don't think this is a true statement. You're probably going to
> need/want to ask a lot of questions as you find out what it is you need
> to do.

Actually I knew I would need more, but I did not feel appropriate to
keep asking Kris I have other avenues of information to pursue. So I
actually would not ask him anymore questions. I don't want to penalize
him for helping me out. :-)

>> If there is a RTFM I am not doing please feel free to reply with
>> RTFM, or point me to the place to get 5.3 STABLE.
>>

> Yes, there are. You want to look at the handbook, I would go here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
>
> Read chapter 8, 19 and Appendicies A5 and A6. Also, /usr/src/UPDATING
> and /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Cool that is what I was looking for.

> Kris said you need to update to 5.3-STABLE. To do that there are some
> things you're going to need to learn about. In particular, cvsup,
> sup-files, and what to do then.

I have a cron job running every night that updates my ports via cvsup.
I am pretty comfortable with cvsup. It makes me happy.

> Can you connect to the Internet using your FBSD box? I looked at the
> headers on your email and noticed Apple Mail.

Yeah that is easy. I am just using an apple box as my desktop. I have
two bsd servers that have been rock solid for years. I am upgrading
them from 4.4 to 5.3. I am finding there is much I need to refresh in
my knowledge base.

Thank you guys very much for your help. This was much more then I
expected.

mhr