Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:48:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
To:        "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP connections hanging

It might be a reverse DNS problem. If those users are
coming from IPs that don't have a reverse set up for
them, FTP can hang while doing the lookup. If you were
trying to replicate it from somewhere with reverse set
up, it would all appear normal.

--Tim

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20020305_sprigman.html