Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:52:57 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, java@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Just a ports related question

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 06:23:45PM +0300, Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> 1) Whould it take 30 new i386/amd64/sparc64/ia64 machines
> to just copy packages from
> /ports/i386/packages-6-stable
> /ports/i386/packages-6.1-release
> ????????

It wouldn't.  But the -stable packages are continually rebuilt, with
whatever the latest changes in 6-STABLE are.  In "theory" there are no
API changes in a -STABLE branch, but would you like to bet on it?  In
any case other things change (utilities are imported or improved, device
drivers are added) and some of the ports that are built for -stable just
aren't going to work on -release.

We keep trying to figure ways to reduce the lag time between package
builds and final releases but it's a really tough problem to solve.
Believe me, kris and I are _very_ aware of this problem :-)

mcl