Date:      Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:27:15 +0100
From:      Philippe PEGON <Philippe.Pegon@crc.u-strasbg.fr>
To:        Ken Menzel <kenm@icarz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: GENERIC and DEFAULTS

Ken Menzel wrote:
>>   options INVARIANT_SUPPORT
>>
>>   nooptions WITNESS
>>   nooptions WITNESS_SKIP_SPIN
>

> If I include GENERIC can I comment out  the following?
> #cpu            I486_CPU
> #cpu            I586_CPU
>
> Does this make any difference?  I have always done this out of habit.
> would it become

in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES we can read :

#
# You must specify at least one CPU (the one you intend to run on);
# deleting the specification for CPUs you don't need to use may make
# parts of the system run faster.
#
cpu             I486_CPU
cpu             I586_CPU                # aka Pentium(tm)
cpu             I686_CPU                # aka Pentium Pro(tm)

> nocpu I486_CPU   ?
>
> Or is this irrelevant as the build knows what CPU I have?

if the description is true, it's relevant ;)

--
Philippe PEGON