Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 23:19:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI using external synth via serial port

On 12-May-2004 Mathew Kanner wrote:
> On May 11, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>
>> I was under the impression that the MIDI UART (gameport) was not yet
>> supported, at least on most cards.  Was I mistaken?  That would be great!
>
>       The uarts on gameports are the easiest to support!  At the
> moment I think we support emu10k1(soundblaster), cmi80xx and es1371.

Cool, an es1371 just happens to be what I have.

> The actual url for the patches should be in the archive, I really
> don't remeber at the moment.

OK, I'll do a hunt for it.  You think these will apply to current?

>> If so, what would I need to do to use it?  Is all the necessary kernel stuff
>> already in place?
>
>       No.  That's what I'm working on (and included in the patches).

I see.  Well, I'll check it out and let you know how it goes.

>       (In regards to windows+serial) Cool.  I didn't known.  At the
> moment, MIDI and a serial UART just won't work because the code hasn't
> been written (it has before but we are know in the third generation).

Well, the keyboard (a Yamaha S03) came with a serial driver for Windows.  It's
not like Windows had intrinsic support for it or anything.  I'm sure, given the
superior performance of FreeBSD in general, it would work even better here.

I'm anxious to try this under FreeBSD; been waiting a *long* time (since the
removal of the old Voxware drivers what seems like eons ago).  And I don't even
have a Windows installation here anymore, threw in the towel with Windows a
long time ago.  :-)

Is there anything I can do to help?  I'm pretty handy at coding, myself.  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"