Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 10:11:15 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firewall questions

Hello.  I'm working on my first firewall, and have a few questions:

1) I've purchased the O'Reilly book "Building Internet Firewalls", and have
printed out chapters 6.4 and 16 from the handbook.  However, is there any
other guide that describes in better detail how to do what I am doing?
(read on for details)

2) Is sendmail necessary on a firewall?  I've removed all other
non-essential daemons already (r*, telnetd, ftpd, even inetd).  The only
service running right now is ssh, which is the only way I communicate with
this system.  I've never telnetted to it.

3) What the heck would be using port 111?  Strobe shows it as being alive
and listening.

4) How do I properly set up routes for a dual-homed firewall where both
sides are within the same class C?  This is the first time I've ever had to
play with routing and gateways.

5) Where's the proper place to put your ipfw rules so they get reloaded on
every boot? rc.local?

6) Should www/ftp/dns/etc servers be inside the firewall, or in the DMZ?

What I'm ultimately trying to have is a system like the following:

INTERNET <-> Router (A.B.C.1) <-> DMZ <-> (A.B.C.2) Firewall (A.B.C.3) <->
internal_network (A.B.C.*)

I've already got the firewall system up and going (FreeBSD 3.3 RELEASE),
with ssh 2.0.13 running.  The necessary stuff to enable IPFW has been built
into the kernel per Handbook 6.4.  Both network cards are installed, have
IPs, and appear operational.  I've edited /etc/rc.firewall to match the IP
addresses on our network.  I've added the following to /etc/rc.conf (IP
addresses and hosts have been changed):

network_interfaces="ed0 ed1 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet A.B.C.3  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ed1="inet A.B.C.2  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="A.B.C.1"
hostname="firewall.domain.com"
sendmail_enable="NO"
inetd_enable="NO"
gateway_enable="YES"
router_enable="YES"
router="routed"
router_flags="-q"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="open"    <---- YES I KNOW THIS IS BAD, I'm not ready to go
live yet.
firewall_enable="YES"

So I feel like I'm making good progress.  I'm getting a good understanding
of ipfw rules.  But the routes thing has got me a bit stumped.  I'm not
clear on what routing is being done by routed, what routing is being done
(if any) by ipfw (because rc.firewall has places for you to put in both
sides of your firewall), and what the difference in enabling routing and
enabling gateway is.

I want anything destined for the internet to go out A.B.C.2 and anything
destined for the internal network to go out A.B.C.3.  I figure I would then
set up routes to A.B.C.1 and any systems in the DMZ as individual routes
from A.B.C.2 correct?  Oh well.  Any advice? Tips? Suggestions? URLs? PDFs?
Books?

What I'm planning on doing is, once I've got the routes set up properly,
then having my system point to the firewall as the gateway instead of the
current router (I assume this would be the proper procedure for everyone
once we're ready to go live) and then start tweaking ipfw rules.  That way,
everyone can remain functional until I have it set up proper.  Then I'll
tell the router to only communicate to the firewall, plug the router
directly into A.B.C.2 w/ a cross-over cable (I'd use a separate hub if I
were to set up other hosts in a DMZ, and then adjust everyone else's
default gateway to be the firewall.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot here and have a bunch of stuff wrong.  Please
advise.... thanks! :)