Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 95 17:37:47 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pvinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] NCONS vs. ptys

> What is the difference between virtual consoles and pty's?

A virtual consle is like a pty, but contains device state information
for the console hardware as well.  For instance, scan code mode,
memory containing screen contents, screen graphics mode, cursor
location, current attributes, etc., etc..

A pty is just a pipe with cannonical processing on one end (the slave end)
so that programs think they are using a tty.

> I also understand that the number of xterms is limited by the number of
> pty's.

That's right.  Xterms use pty's to make the programs running in them
(like your shell) think they are talking to a physica device.

Telnet, rlogin, screen, and other programs all use pty's to fool programs into talking to them.

The 'p' in 'pty' stands for pseudo -- it's a pretend tty.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.