Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 21:49:27 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>, dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld brawl esclates

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 01:25:15PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 11:08 AM 5/5/98 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >	One reason we humans have survived these score millennia
> >	is because cooperation precedes competition.  Individual
> >	effort sometimes yield brilliant results; cooperative,
> >	maximum.  Both operating systems would gain if features
> >	from each were shared.
> >
> >	Both the *BSD and *Linux OS's agree with the free software
> >	paradigm; it's a matter of degree.
>
> One would certainly hope so! But tune in to that InfoWorld forum
> to see what's actually going on. Anyone who critiques the GPL
> is *immediately* branded a "Linux basher," a "zealot," or worse.
> Ditto anyone who points out areas in which FreeBSD has advantages
> over Linux. The rhetoric is *nasty*, guys.

Sorry - I don't agree.  In the forums, you _do_ tend to come over as a
zealot and Linux basher.  (And claiming that I get this impression
because I'm a closet Linuxial won't get you anywhere ;-)

You'd come over much better if you qualified your statement to not
only be technically correct, but also being correct in context (not
holding back information etc).

Be careful to give the correct impression, admit to weaknesses (or at
least those weaknesses you can afford to admit to), and you can give
an extremely honest impression - which is much more effective.  The
combination of technical excellence and an impression of honesty can
easily convert lurkers (which probably should be the real target in
the discussion).

Eivind.