Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:25:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dsl stuff...

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Doug White wrote:

> FreeBSD will either use the media type specified in the program's setup,
> the card's automatic determination, or appopriate ifconfig link / media
> flags used.  In other words: don't worry about it :)

So just change the cabling, reboot and all should be fine. That I gotta
see. :^)

> If your cards all have UTP ports and you can send directly to your ISP
> through the DSL link, then do you really need the router?  Just buy a
> cheap hub ($100 or so), plug the pairgain into the incoming port and the
> other machines into the other ports.

Thats pretty much the setup I was thinking of. It would be easiest and
cheapest to build here at home.

> Since this is a router (after all), you can buy an Ethernet card to
> plug the PairGain into; that can have a UTP port.  Then route onto your
> BNC network.

Naw, easier to buy a cheapo hub and some UTP wire and just convert
everything over. Though the BNC on my old Sun 3/60 might be a bit of a
different story. But I'll cross that bridge (no pun intended) when I need
to. ;)