Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 02:14:20 +0100
From:      "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen@unfix.org>
To:        "'Kris Kennaway'" <kris@obsecurity.org>, <dzubint@vcn.bc.ca>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: fping-2.4b2 is in IPv6 ports but doesn't have an IPv6 binary...

Kris Kennaway [mailto:kris@obsecurity.org]=20

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:01:44PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>=20
> > > Eh?  Why do you think there should be a separate binary=20
> for IPv6 and
> > > IPv4?
> >=20
> > Well because I made the patch for fping which makes it IPv6=20
> capable ? :)
> > So I am quite sure of it it makes too, check:
>=20
> Okay, thanks for clarifying.
>=20
> I notice the port contains this:
>=20
> .if defined(WITH_IPV6)
> # IPv6 not enabled by default, as it does not work together with IPv4.
> CFLAGS+=3D        -DIPV6
> .endif

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/net/fping/pkg-
plist/
8<------------
@comment $FreeBSD: ports/net/fping/pkg-plist,v 1.3 2000/11/22 00:17:17
obrien Exp $
sbin/fping
------------>8
The committer of this port didn't even prolly see how the fping6 was
built and that it generates two binaries. I wonder why he didn't contact
upstream.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/net/fping/file
s/patch-02/
contains:
8<-----------
-#define IPV6 1						/* This should
be a compiler option, or even better be done from the Makefile... ;) */
Which makes me aware of something obvious: wrong patch.

Compare it with the following tarball and and you'll see that that does
have a working Makefile....
http://unfix.org/projects/ipv6/fping-2.4b2_to-ipv6.tar.gz

Fping maintainer CC:'d.

Hope that helps :)