Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:30:13 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        molter@logic.it
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: ATT Unix for Windows !

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.970825090850.640A-100000@dumbwinter.ecomotor.it>
molter@logic.it writes:

>> The U/WIN package provides a mechanism for building and running UNIX
>> applications on Windows NT and Windows 95 with few, if any, changes
>> necessary.
>>
>> The U/WIN package contains the following three elements:
>>
>> 1. Libraries that provide the UNIX Application Programming Interface
>>    (API)
>> 2. Include files and development tools such as cc, yacc, lex, and make.
>> 3. Korn Shell and over 160 utilities such as ls, sed, cp, stty etc.

In Japan, such software has been used for years.  The name is "BSD on
Windows".

According to its homepage
(http://www.ascii.co.jp/pb/superascii/bow/index.html - written in
Japanese),

	"BSD on Windows" is a BSD UNIX kernel emulator that executes
	4.4BSD-lite based BSD UNIX program (i386 architecture) on
	Microsoft Windows, and you can enjoy single user multi tasking
	UNIX compatible environemnt.  BSD UNIX binary includes editors
	like Mule (Multilingal Emacs), vi, filters like perl, awk,
	sed, and development tools like cc, as, make are used without
	little modifications.

It's commercial software (costs about $100), and I don't know whether
it works on English Windows or not.

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Network Technology Center