Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:23:57 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Max Brazhnikov <makc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Very Important Note on HP LaserJet P1102 on FreeBSD

Am 26.01.2011 23:20, schrieb Bahman Kahinpour:
> Hi dear FreeBSD people,
> After spending a lot of time on making my HP LaserJet P1102 work on
> FreeBSD, I found out what the problem is!!! Please tell this to
> anybody who has problems with HP P1102 on FreeBSD!
> The problem with this HP model is that it has a fake CD-ROM which
> contains the Windows drivers. The USB must actually be switched from
> the CD-ROM mode to the Printer mode in order to work. Otherwise, the
> printer will not work whatever you do. /dev/ulpt0 will not show up
> either.
> ---> The workaround is this: You must (unfortunately) connect the
> printer to a Windows system and run SIUtility.exe or SIUtility64.exe
> from the UTIL folder in the Driver CD-ROM (physical CD-ROM that comes
> with the printer not the fake one) and completely disable this "HP
> Smart Install" feature. After disabling this feature, everything will
> be fine on FreeBSD and life will be more beautiful.
> * Please pass this info on blogs, wikis, ... . I do not want other
> FreeBSD fans suffer this pain.

Thanks.

Which hplip version have you been using?

Seems there were relevant fixes for the 3.11.1 release which isn't yet in ports
AFAICS.

Anyways, this shouldn't be spammed everywhere.  Instead, it would probably be
better to

- wait and see if hplip 3.11.1 fixes this once it arrives in ports

- else help with the port of some siutility equivalent to FreeBSD

- avoid buying GDI or "host-based printing" class printers altogether

- before buying, check
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro
and, if going for HP, hplip.net release notes.

Best regards

--
Matthias Andree