Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:44:32 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "hackmiester \(Hunter Fuller\)" <hackmiester@hackmiester.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proof of concept box with 8mB RAM

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 04:35:51PM -0500, hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) wrote:
> Everyone will laugh at this, but I have an old box with a 25mHz
> processor or so. It has 8mB of memory. I want to install some type of
> UNIX clone on it, as a proof of concept. I don't care if it's linux,
> freebsd, or something else, but I need something that will run with
> enough speed to run an sshd and not much else. It will just be to
> prove that old hardware can still be used. Any suggestions?

Take a look at NetBSD.  It usually works fairly well on older hardware.

Otherwise I do know for a fact that FreeBSD 3.1 will install and run just
fine on such a machine.  (Later 3.x and 4.x versions of FreeBSD will also
run fine on that machine, but somewhere along that line (I think it was
around 3.4 but I am not certain) the minimum memory needed to *install*
FreeBSD increased to 12MB.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson