Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:39:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chern Lee <chern@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Atkinson <Adam.Atkinson@damovo.com>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.7 DVD from FreeBSDMall seems strange

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:54:35AM -0000, Adam Atkinson wrote:
> > I have FreeBSDMall's DVD of 4.7, and booting from it causes
> > it to claim that the boot floppy and FreeBSD version don't match.
> >
> I saw this too, when attempting to launch a live filesystem
> from it.  It seems a bit strange because DVD has a special
> "CD_VERSION = any" in its /cdrom.inf.  The reasoning for this
> is because the disk also contains the 5.0-CURRENT snapshot.

Yes, this was to avoid confusion when installing the CURRENT snapshot.  It
would look fairly confusing when a message popped up saying the disc was
for 4.7 but the Sysinstall expects 5.0.

> > Proceeding anyway leads to, amongst other things, linux compatibility
> > package 6.something going on, which is the wrong version for 4.7
> >
> This seems to be a matter of the missing NO_LATEST_LINK in
> ports/emulators/linux_base-6, and because linux_base-6 is listed
> after linux_base in ports/emulators/Makefile.

Looks like this problem pops up only in the DVD since it has both
versions of linux_base.  I would imagine an FTP install would yield the
same results.  You should be able to select it from the packages menu in
your next installation.

> > Is there something wrong on the DVD, or should I not try booting from
> > it?

It's perfectly fine to boot from.  Nothing to worry about.

- chern