Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 11:12:14 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New port with DES stuff

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 11:55:08AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I am porting a new piece of software, and it contains 'public domain
> DES software'. Now I think it's OK for me to export/import it, and
> it doesn't violate patent or trade agreements, but I'm not sure..

If the code was written outside the US, it should be OK for you to do
this.  There are two unrelated mainstream problems:

(a) Crypto may not be exported from the US.  If you download it, I
    believe you're in violation of the trade agreements.  (I've no
    idea how this apply if you download it off somebody that has
    already broken the agreements...)

(b) RSA is patented in the US, so americans can only use the RSAref
    implementation.  The problem expire in a +- 1 year (but there
    might be other PK patents that still apply).

I'm not a lawyer etc.

Eivind.