Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh and rsa lib

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Szilveszter Adam wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:29:16PM -0400, Marc Tardif wrote:
> > I installed FreeBSD_4.1-RELEASE with base crypto and ssh returns:
> > ** R_RandomInit: Unable to find an RSAREF shared library (librsaref.so).
> > ** Install the /usr/ports/security/rsaref port or package and run this
> > ** program again. See the OpenSSL chapter in the FreeBSD Handbook, located at
> > ** http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/openssl.html, for more information.
>
> Hello!
>
> Maybe you should try it with the ports. It is in
> /usr/ports/security/librsaintl, and at least the Hungarian mirror still has it
> in pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles. BTW the Handbook says the package can be
> found on ftp.internat.freebsd.org, which indeed has a directory named
> pub/librsaintl with a C file in it. I do not know if this directory is
> mirrored on any FreeBSD mirrors though. (And have never used the package)

The port has been removed since the ports collection tracks -stable and
-current, and rsaintl isn't required there any longer. The openssl chapter
is a little out of date, but still tells you the correct things to
do: install the librsaintl package (if you can find it), or the port.

> As for the Handbook, I think we should re-word it anyway now that the RSA
> algorithm has been released and the crypto stuff got merged into the base
> distro. People with 4.1.1 or later will need to know this.
>
> Kris, what is your opinion?
>
> Also, on a side note, sysinstall, too needs some rewording, because it still
> says on my -CURRENT system from today, under "Distributions" : "CRYPTO -
> Not for export!" which, unless I am mistaken, is no longer the case...
>
> If we can sort the Handbook part out, I can volunteer to submit a diff...

I have patches for the handbook which I'll commit today and which bring
all of the docs about crypto up to date - I just need to rewrite part of
my rewrite now that -stable has improved password algorithm selection
code.

Kris