Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:41:36 -0800
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd problem

Hi Garance!

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 9:49 PM -0800 2/20/02, Dale Morris wrote:
> >Initially I install KDE and I believe it installed cups_base.
>
> cups_base installs some useful libraries for programs which want
> to do printing support, but it doesn't replace any of the system
> commands which would do printing.
>
> I think the cups port might replace commands.
>
> >Here's what I've done so far..
>
> I wonder how your system got into this state.  lpd is part of the
> base system.  all you should need to do is the lpd_enable=YES step,
> and everything else should just be there and work.  (you would have
> to add entries to /etc/printcap, of course).

I installed cups, didn't get it to work, then make deinstall from the
port.
> >I would install the lprng package, but that is dependant on lpd
> >isn't it?
>
> lprNG is an alternative to the standard system lpd.  it replaces it.
>

> I'm not sure why things are the way they are on your system, and it
> might be that cups has installed an alternate program which would
> be accepting print jobs.  What do you get from:
>      whereis lpr
> ?  is there one on /usr/local/bin?
lymond# whereis lpr
lpr: /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr

Also when I try to make lpd from the /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpd directory  I
get an error code 71 **No such file or directory.

Is there a way to get lpd back? Or should I just try to install cups? I
have no preference, just whichever one is easier to get printing working
on my my system. :-) that way I can make myself some notes so I don't
have to flood the list so much..