Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:56:16 -0800
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttlabs.com>
To:        Questions FreeBSD ML <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: logging in as root under X

Greetings,

Donn Miller wrote:

> I've noticed that I can't login as root when running X:
>
> xterm -e login root & and then I type the password but I get rejected.
> All other logins work ok though under X.  Also, if I start X as root and
> then type `finger', I don't see root listed under the pseudo-terminals
> anywhere.  For ex., if I have two xterms open, finger should report
> that root is on ttyp0 and ttyp1 but I don't see them.
>
> If I start a new xterm via xterm -e login dmm125 &, I can log in OK and
> `finger' reports me as being logged in on ttyp2.  But none of this works
> for root.  syslogd reports LOGIN root REFUSED (NOROOT) ON ttyp2.  I can
> still get an xterm open as root by selecting "new window" from the default
> root menu (mwm).  But finger doesn't show root as being logged in on that
> tty.  I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-980123-SNAP.
>
> Help appreciated.  Thanks
>
>         Donn

This is because the root login is disabled by default on pseudo-ttys
(tty[pqrsPQRS]*), which xterm uses.  If you must, you can enable it by
changing the keyword "insecure" to "secure" on the corresponding lines
in /etc/ttys, but this is STRONGLY discouraged -- at least in my opinion
-- because it will permit root logins from the outside network as well
and thus very dangerous.

I hope this helped,
Gene

--