Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:46:14 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: failed X11 install, now what?

At 01:55 PM 11/15/2003, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 09:44:43AM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
>
> > make all install clean
>
>Did you execute this in /usr/ports?

No, I forgot to say first cd'd to the X11/XFree86-4 dir.

>Just as a tip 'df -h' give human readable output.

Thanks, that helps.

>You could also move /usr/src/ and /usr/obj to another machine and mount
>them from there.

Ok, I did rm -r /usr/ports/x11 and now /usr's down to 87%. That's breathing
room at least. I think pacing this learning experience is a good thing;
I've got Apache, PostgreSQL and Lynx up and running and that's plenty with
Perl for starters. The more digging I do in the Handbook the better off I'm
getting so I think I'll try and avoid trouble for awhile and stay away from
the ports collection. :)

>du -sh /usr/* gives:

Alex, could you recommend a way for me to filter out anything under a
certain threshold? Grep wouldn't do the trip for this, right? IOW
list  everything on /usr greater than say 50MB? Or am I best off grep'ing
the du output to a little perl app since that's the language I'm most
comfortable with?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site