Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:22:45 -0500
From:      Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with digital camera

Hoping that someone can see what I may be overlooking. I've got a Nikon
CoolPix 885 that I'm attempting to connect to my FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
machine via it's USB connector to a D-Link 7-port USB hub. The hub
itself is connected via one of two USB ports on the tower. I have the
following in /boot/loader.conf:

        salamander# cat /boot/loader.conf
        snd_emu10k1_load="YES"
        usb_load="YES" # USB support
        ums_load="YES" # USB mouse
        umass_load="YES" # USB Zip 100 drive Or Camera

and the following in my /etc/rc.conf:

        salamander# cat /etc/rc.conf
        # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
        # Created: Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
        # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
        # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
        # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
        hostname="salamander.thesizemores.net"
        ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
        linux_enable="YES"
        moused_enable="YES"
        usbd_enable="YES"
        sendmail_enable="YES"
        sendmail_flags="-bd"
        sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
        sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
        sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
        sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
        devfs_system_ruleset="local_ruleset"

and this in a /etc/devfs.rules file that I created per another post I
saw on the forum:

        [local_ruleset=10]
        add path 'ugen*' mode 664

The following lines appear in my /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file (this is
out-of-the-box, I have not recompiled the kernel since initial install):

        # USB support
        device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
        device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
        device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
        #device		udbp		# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
        device		ugen		# Generic
        device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
        device		ukbd		# Keyboard
        device		ulpt		# Printer
        device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
        device		ums		# Mouse
        device		urio		# Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
        device		uscanner	# Scanners

        # SCSI peripherals
        device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
        device          ch              # SCSI media changers
        device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
        device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
        device          cd              # CD
        device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
        device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

However, when I connect my camera via the USB connector and turn it on,
I get no messages in dmesg and usbdevs shows

        salamander# usbdevs
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA

What have I missed? I assumed with the latter configured as I've
outlined, I should be able to have the camera plugged in on a running
system, see it detected, and then mount. Later I could add an entry to
fstab for the device to make this a little easier.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Adversity is the trial of principle.
Without it, a man hardly knows whether he is honest or not.
-- Henry Fielding

12:17PM up 4 days, 14:54, 0 users, load averages: 0.19, 0.14, 0.06
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-RELEASE i386