Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 1999 23:53:25 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@freedom.cybertouch.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

Lanny Baron writes:
> If they are already comfortable with MS OFFICE or whatever MAC uses  ( I
> know nothing of MAC's) then why the need for the "pain". Face it, most
> people who work for organizations like banks or law firms etc; will use
> windows based programs for their day to day work.

I can't find the reference, but recently saw some statistics claiming
DOS was still the leader in law offices. MacOS was a close 2nd. Altho
NT was gaining ground.

This past week I purchased a demo 21" monitor from MaxVision, a high end
PC-based value added CAD shop. The nice lady who took my money bantered
the president of MaxVision for selling me this 21" monitor when she only
had a 15" on her desk. OTOH the application she was running to print my
invoice was in 80x25 text mode. Likely DOS, maybe SCO. Little good a 21"
monitor would do her. I almost fell out of my chair laughing the first
time I saw the BIOS messages and FreeBSD's kernel init messages in 80x25
mode on a 21" monitor.

My point is a commercial environment is often a production shop. The
computer on desktops has a specific purpose, usually not including web
surfing or word processing. The application is tailored to that
environment. "Windows skills" have little to do with the ability to get
the job done. I doubt I would have been able to coax an invoice out of
the above application without quite a number of iterations of trial and
error.

In an engineering shop there will also be a core application or suite
of applications. The OS matters less than the application. For the past
10 years I have used a Macintosh for schematic and PCB design. The
applications I have been using have been getting long in the tooth and
its time to consider replacing them. It appears the only productive
choices I have are NT based. Those running on HP or Sun workstations
are beyond my price range. I'd sure like to find something I could run
under FreeBSD as I'm not a "production" computer user, I use my
computers as general purpose multi-tools.