Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:49:21 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell PowerEge 2850 and RAID

I'd really like to get some concrete information about RAID management
under FreeBSD/i386 (5.4) on a Dell PowerEdge 2850.  I don't have this
machine, but it is looking very likely that a client will be getting one
and I'd like to have positive things to say about running FreeBSD on it.

My major concern is how to monitor the RAID status without resorting to
looking at the LEDs flash on the disks (*).  Ideally, I'd like to be
able to run something from a cron job which told me that everything was
OK.  If errors were logged to /var/log/messages or similar, that would
be a nice plus.

As far as I can tell, the machine could have either an LSI 53C1030
controller or a Dell PERC 4e/Di controller.

For the LSI I can see that it is supported by the mtp driver, but can
find nothing else.

For the Dell PERC 4e/Di (a different LSI, I believe) it seems to be
supported by the amr driver and I have found various references out
there to these working under FreeBSD, but nothing specifically about
monitoring the RAID.

If anyone can provide some concrete information, I'd be grateful.  I
have also explored the Dell and LSI sites, but neither appear to let you
browse their downloads unless you are a registered customer.

Thanks,

--Alex

(*) For a short saga on a RAID which didn't, and no-one knew about it,
see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-June/090786.html