Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:51:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ssh question

While checking my ssh configuration, I was shocked to discover that I
could log in to accounts with no password set by giving any non-empty
password.  What have I got misconfigured for this to happen?

I am running 4.6 have the standard 4.6 /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

PermitEmptyPasswords is no.  Setting it to yes allows passwordless
users to log in without being prompted for a password at all; with it
set to no I am prompted for a password and any non-empty string seems
to work.

-- Richard