Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:51:28 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        greg strockbine <gstrock@dpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 Install Giving Up - Hello Linux?

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:49:45AM -0800, greg strockbine wrote:
> "Panic can't mount /"
>
> for the past week I have been trying to install
> 3.1 fbsd on a second IDE drive, set up as a
> secondary master.  This drive is dedicated to
> Fbsd.

For the past week?! And you've read the FAQ, Handbook, etc?
Then why on earth didn't you ask for help from freebsd-questions?
We can't tell you how to fix it here, but they can.
Give them a try.

> I wonder if I would have the same problem with Linux?

Yes, for the same reasons. Read all you can, do all you can,
think and check all you can, and if you still can't, holler
in the approved direction, giving them all the information
they could possibly need in order to help you.

> I am about to abandon Fbsd.  This is my first attempt
> at installing a unix on my home pc.  At my regular
> job I've been using unix for about 15 years, but never
> messed around with kernel stuff.
>
> Any suggestions?

Read http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/
Read http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
Send your problems and questions to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Hang in there! Never underestimate the power of a cuppa and a rest.
Come back and gloat with your newbie mates when you've got it going :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-