Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:51:49 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        jasondic@sbcglobal.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for Tape Drives?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:01:51AM -0700 I heard the voice of
jasondic@sbcglobal.net, and lo! it spake thus:

> The idea of a low end backup solution involving tape drives hasn't truely been
> realized in my opinion. For any real backup you'll have to spend a good
> dollar.

The problem is that over the past (say) 5 years, hard drive capacities
have increased by close to 2 orders of magnitude, and the prices have
gone *down*, so the price/meg is MORE than 2 orders of magnitude lower.
In that time, tape drive capacities have maybe doubled, maybe a bit more
than doubled, and the price/meg hasn't even fallen by 50%.

These days, it's often cost effective to just buy a few Big Honkin' IDE
Drives(tm), and stuff 'em in some removably trays to use for backup.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net