Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 09:40:18 -0600
From:      DRDavis <drdavis@xmission.com>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI greyscale interface by default

Well, I agree with Jordon.  In the many years I have worked with Unix this has
just become another religous war to divide Unix.  Rember the debate of
SunView/NeWS/X windows.  And then the famous quote by Steve Jobs that "X was
Braindead".  I have been following the threads on FreeBSD as a Workstation, now
is the time for us to free our minds and move into the future.  My belief is if
you want to do that Java is the story (Yes, OK maybe I have been listening to
Eric Schmidt to much, hell he is the CEO anyways).  Why doesn't someone take
FreeBSD build that damn fastest implementation of Java VM/JIT into the OS.  And
go Java!  Rewrite the GUI in a standard mechanism through Java (MAKE IT
CONSISTANT).  Novell is doing this with NetWare 5!  Yes, we currently just
ported an X server, but the API we expose it through Java so someday we can
throw it away and do something better!  If you want a client workstation story
Java is the key.

My 2.5 cents worth.

Darren