Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 16:37:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/ppp command.c datalink.c datalink.h          defs.h vars.c vars.h

<<On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:25:33 +0100, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> said:

>> * Fair Queueing support (i don't think it is already there, just a
>> priority for interactive packets ?)  the code could be grabbed from
>> the ALTQ package recently announced on this list. Not necessarily
>> the full package, just the FQ stuff could help;
>>

> This is on my list of things that must be done.  I can't guarantee
> when I'll come to it, but if others don't take of them, I will.

RED would be a good thing to have as well.  Cisco lets you choose
among four different queueing disciplines.

>> * "preemption" .  I don't think ppp allows this, but perhaps it

Actually, the PPP multilink protocol allows this (and you can
negotiate it even without any intention of using multiple physical
links).  However, it's only a two-level scheme.  Obviously, what one
would really like would be full ISSLOW support, but that may be some
time off.

> I'm not certain how this can be handled.  A possibility might be to
> fragment the packets for just that connection, ie, in effect lower
> the MTU for just part of the use.

What multilink PPP allows you to do is interrupt one data stream
temporarily to send a packet from another.  (I'm remembering this from
what was described at the first ISSLL WG meeting, so forgive me if I
got it wrong.)  You still have to go back to that packet eventually.

-GAWollman