Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:01:38 +0200
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What kind of MotherBoard is better for FreeBsd and linux?

On Friday 10 June 2005 15:22, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Oleg Rusanov wrote:
> > What kind of MotherBoard for Amd64 OPteron 252 or 264 processors is
> > better for FreeBsd and linux?
>
> Did you check http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html for
> input?

I think the motherboards list could use a redesign so that it carries _more_
information. Right now one man's "Fully Functional" is another man's "Useless
Junk" because there's not enough detail on the page to decide what's going
on.

Case in point: I just got an Asus A8N-SLI (an accident on the fscking
university administration where my order for an A8V goes through 6 layers of
clueless bureaucracy to get to the store -- I guess there was some Greek
interpretation somewhere along the line) which is nForce4 based. Now, for
5-stable users, you get:

1) Won't boot 5.3-R amd64
2) In 5.3-R i386, is missing SATA RAID ('cause it's a Sil3114 which isn't
supported on any platform as RAID, but does manage to squeak by as a regular
SATA controller) and missing the onboard NIC (since nve is 6-CURRENT)

Unfortunately I didn't have my 5.4-R CDs with me to try it with either. Still,
this board is listed as "fully functional" on the motherboards page, while it
clearly isn't. Maybe for the original reporter who wants neither SATA RAID
nor networking it's fine.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot