Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:11:18 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   any chance of running FreeBSD on a Sun Ultra 1?

Hi!

I am a FreeBSD user, but my experience is limited to i386
hardaware.

Recently, our lab received an old Ultra 1 from Sun. It is
currently running Solaris 8, but I'd like to investigate the
possibility of running FreeBSD (or perhaps some other OS).

It seems that the Ultra 1 is unsupported, but does that mean
that it will not boot/run FreeBSD? Or just that no work is
being done from the sparc@ project?

If it's possible to netboot it, I can set up some shared NFS
partitions on my i386 machine to hold what's necessary ...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

PS: BTW, is there such a thing as a 'Solaris binary
compatibility' as there is for Linux in i386? I mean, may I
be able to run Solaris sparc binaries on FreeBSD-sparc?

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan