Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:38:43 +0200
From:      Peder Blom <peder.blom@bredband.net>
To:        Guy Van Sanden <n.b@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disklabe oddity

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:44:28 +0200
Guy Van Sanden <n.b@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> I get a strange message from disklabel:
> Warning, partition c doesn't start at 0!
> Warning, partition c doesn't cover the whole unit!
> Warning, An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
> system utilities
>
> What does this mean?

You don't say what version of FreeBSD you are running. I recall that
this problem has been discussed several times on freebsd-current though,
so it might be better to check there.

> I'm considering reinstalling the system with 5.2, reformatting the
> disk, but I don't know if this will clear the error.  It will have a
> larger root though.

It's a warning and not necessarily an error. IIRC it *might* be an issue
with bsdlabel, but don't take my word for it, go and check current, or
google mailing.freebsd.current.