Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:35:42 -0600
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        tmseck@netcologne.de
Subject:   www/squid maintainer: 3 months and still timing out...

3 months of timeouts and counting...

I submitted ports/58090 (a simple update to latest version and vendor
patches) back in October (and ports/56926 in September before that).
Thomas-Martin Seck submitted ports/59091 (overhaul and update) back in
November.  I personally emailed adrian@ to ask him to update back in
mid-October.

There has been no response.  I understand that we all get busy and can't
handle things immediately -- I'm not trying to be demanding.  I just
think it's ridiculous that we're sitting at version 2.5-STABLE3 when
2.5-STABLE4 has been out since September 15, 2003!  2.5-STABLE4 is
primarily a maintenance release and (along with the latest vendor
patches) fixes several crash bugs and numerous more minor issues.

I have been in contact with several people like myself who are now
updating the port for themselves.  This is also ridiculous; why are we
all having to duplicate our efforts?  I asked to take over the
maintainership last summer but adrian@ said he wanted to keep doing it.

What should I do?  I just submitted an updated diff (followup to
ports/58090) to bring the port up to the latest patches (using existing
port scheme -- just adding patches).  I would greatly appreciate it if
someone would look over it and commit it.  It might be a good idea to
hold off on ports/59091 until the maintainer (adrian@ or someone new)
can look over the changes made.

NOTE: Also listed in ports/58090 are the numerous PRs that can be closed
if it is committed (most should have been closed after previous updates).

Links:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/58090
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/56926
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/59091