Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:12:58 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        chris@tourneyland.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hoping to configure DNS

Doug wrote:

> 	The fact that A) You failed to answer my question as to why you want a
> nameserver in the first place,

So that he can resolve hostnames? I'd rather run a nameserver than
maintain /etc/hosts (yuk!) on multiple machines, and a local caching
nameserver can speed up resolution of remote hostnames if they're used
often.

I found it quite easy to get BIND running for my local network, without
the book. I'd probably get the book for anything bigger than my home
network though, or if my nameserver was listed as the authoritative
nameserver for a domain, or something.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and