Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:31:11 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Time to split the ports collection?

Hi;
I installed 3.1 and was going to start building new ports when I found
that installing the complete ports tree was a requirement !!. I am not
interested in extracting the complete tree, after all this is already
packaged.

The fact is that since the ports system is now on /usr/ports/Mk, and
these files are not available by default, nor are they on the live
filesystem , I had to start installing the complete ports tree and when
sysinstall finished installing the /usr/ports/Mk dir, I abruptly stopped
the installation with Ctrl-C. There clearly has to be a different way of
installing the base files, either a "base port tools" package should be
added, or the ports distribution should be installable by branches like
src is.

hope this helps for a future release,

    Pedro.