Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:48:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, cat@ki.net, geoff@ki.net
Subject:   Re: MotherBoard Jumper Settings...

Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:

> 	First off, my CPU is an Intel DX4-100 w Write/Thru.  CMOS
> was set for Write/Back...have changed it to Write/Thru...

Ouch.  Make sure there were no jumpers relevant to that as well.

> 	Second of all, one of the jumper that was supposed to be
> set, wasn't...have set it...

Also bad.

> 	Third, the Oscillator Frequency was set for 33Mhz instead
> of 25Mhz...have fixed it...

Wrong.  "DX4" is marketting crap.  They're really DX3's, so 33 is correct.

> 	As far as the cache is concerned, I have:
>
> 	4x UM61512AK-15/95282/N52049's

UMC.  Normal stuff.

> 	1x W24129AK-15/95200 (Tag SRAM)

Winbond.  Also normal stuff.  If there aren't any jumpers on the board
related to the cache tag type then I would assume that that's OK.

> 	Am I correct in assuming that the -15 is the speed of the cache?

The cycle time of the SRAM parts, yes.

> If so, and I haven't changed that one yet, my CMOS is set for 20ns...
> would that produce any of the bugs I've been reporting?

No.  If the BIOS supports 15ns cycle cache memory then you may be
able to improve your performance by frobbing that.

> 	The jumpers for the cache are set for 256KB/64kbx4...how do I
> determine the size of each of the cache chips to determine if *this* is
> right?

Convention in naming memory parts is to put the size in Kbits in the part
number; 61512 implies 512kbits or 64kx8 or 128kx4.  (I would expect the
latter).  The setting you have now implies 8 cache parts, not 4.
If there's a 256kB/128kbx4 setting, try that.

> 	What is "the ECP DMA Channel"?  Its currently set for DMA 3...
> is that correct?

ECP == Enhanced Capabilities Parallel port.  If your're not talking to
it, ignore it.

> 	Oh ya...Flash ROM Type?  Its set for "5V EEPROM/Flash ROM"...
> since I can't seem to find either, nor know what I'm looking for, even
> the "Board Layout" diagram in the manual doesn't seem to point this out...
> can someone give me an idea of what I'm looking for here?

Harmless.  Only relevant for saving PnP info at boot time.