Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:22:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org (ISDN for BSD)
Subject:   unit number conversion (was: Re: new-bus changes break i4b)

> >I promised to clean this up a long ago (as this cleanup will remove several
> >gross hacks we needed for the NetBSD part to make a softc* <-> unit
> >conversion), and I will actually do it. Hellmuth scared me with hard
> >requirements what I should not break with such a cleanup (several things of
> >which I can't actually test myself), so it has been delayed.

Just to get this right: the unit number is used in every layer-to-layer
communication call and is a very basic part of the design of the whole
isdn4bsd stack from the userland down to the hardware.

Changing this fundamental design concept will produce a major workload
which i'm not able to handle, so if anyone wants to make this change,
thats fine with me as long as he takes the workload to get i4b into a
shape (regarding the way the code is written, documented and with the
stability of at least the current code) it has now.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...