Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        ru@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kqueued make(1): can someone try it for me please?

>Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:27:48 +0300
>From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
>To: David Wolfskill <dhw@FreeBSD.org>
>Cc: current@FreeBSD.org
>Subject: kqueued make(1): can someone try it for me please?

>I'm interested in the change in buildworld times.

OK; this was with "make -j8 buildworld" on RELENG_5:

freebeast(5.3)[6] uname -a
FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 5.3-ALPHA FreeBSD 5.3-ALPHA #56: Fri Aug 20 07:26:27 PDT 2004     root@freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S3/obj/usr/src/sys/FREEBEAST  i386
freebeast(5.3)[7]

Before patch to make/Makefile:

       1h8m1.67s real          1h33m11.20s user                24m25.74s sys

After patch to make/Makefile:

       1h8m5.90s real          1h33m4.93s user         24m13.26s sys

Before each test, I rebooted, then cleared /usr/obj/usr/src, then re-built
and -installed /usr/bin/make.

I did botch the patch the first time (by leaving a "3D" in there), but
the timing wasn't started until after the patch was done, so that should
not be especially significant.

Each test was done within script(1), within screen(1).  I cleaned up
the script files a little, and can make them available to you in whole
or in part.

Peace,
david
Evidence of curmudgeonliness:  becoming irritated with the usage of the
word "speed" in contexts referring to quantification of network
performance, as opposed to "bandwidth" or "latency."