Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 22:56:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Milley <smilley@waterw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Snapshot version

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Stephen Milley wrote:

> I downloaded the FreeBSD SnapShot version, and installed it in my system. I
> later found out it's better for me to go with FreeBSD-Current :)

It depends on what you want to do and how current you want to stay.

> But, I was curious as to why(and people are asking on IRC, too) they took
> out /stand/sysconfig in Snap shot version 3.

/etc/sysconfig was replaced by /etc/rc.conf, which uses a different
format.  I think it was changed to make the options in it more
`orthagonal' (??) among other things.  It's driving me nuts since now I
have to refer to that file as /etc/{sysconfig rc.conf} if a release wasn't
specified. :)

> There also some other things about it that I find challenging, but
> unusual! One of them was the fact that you had only 4 ttys when you
> first installed, and had to make 8 from doing a "/dev/MAKEDEV vty4", all
> the way up to vty7 and add them to /etc/ttys.

It's always been that way.

> I also don't know how to get rid of the devices that show up in startup
> that say they aren't assigned to any port address(they give the specific
> addresses, which I like about FreeBSD).

Type `-c' at the Boot: prompt to get to the config utility; you can then
reconfigure the settings or disable the devices you don't have.

> I think FreeBSD, however is the best OS that came out of them all.

Now you're talkin' !

> If you don't understand error messages then don't use Unix! :)

It's not that bad; if you can translate `Input/Ouput error' to EIO and
remembered to install the man pages then you have what you need.

Release notes can be found in the usual location, http://www.freebsd.org.

>  P.S. Btw, is FreeBSD Posix compliant?

Most parts yes, some parts no.  The manual pages note if they are.  You'll
have to ask hackers@freebsd.org if you need more detail.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo